Re: Filename with whitespace

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman
Subject: Re: Filename with whitespace
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 19:58:59 -0400

First, I'd like to thank everyone for the helpful responses I received.
I adopted a minor variant of Eric's suggestion earlier today:

  XMLFILES = $(shell find $(SCANDIR) -name '*.xml' | sed 's/ /\\ /g')
  HTMLFILES = $(XMLFILES:.xml=.html)

It seems to be working like a charm, for the most part.  This still
seems insurmountable:

  clean:
    rm -f $(HTMLFILES)

But at least in this case that's not at all a problem, so I'm a happy
camper.

Some folks suggested simply renaming the files, but that actually turns
out to require more work.  I'm not the one generating my files, and
they're going to (a) keep coming my way with spaces, and (b) keep going
back to other people who would probably prefer to keep the filenames the
same.

In article <address@hidden>,
 "Mike Gibson" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Really?  Is it?  Guess we didn't all notice spaces creeping into filenames
> EVERYWHERE.  GUIs are everywhere too.  That doesn't mean that we should
> revamp the entire UNIX toolset to be GUI compatible.

I'd like to offer special recognition to Mr. Gibson, who is presumably
reading this email by candlelight as the text slowly scrolls across the
fanfold sheet of his DECwriter ("That's the way it's always been.  It's
most likely going to stay that way.").  It certainly provided my
colleagues and I with a good chortle.  W/r/t to GUIs, Mike, I'd like to
point out the following helpful reference:

  http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/straw.htm

And don't forget to feed the horse once you get home.  He *hates* that.

-- Lars