Re: exporting rules from make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: exporting rules from make
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:05:32 -0400

%% siku hori <address@hidden> writes:

  sh> We have a requirement where we need to convert
  sh> around 20,000 odd Makefile based testcases
  sh> to csh format.

Ugh.  It's against my principles to help anyone convert anything to csh.
Why do you want to do such a horrible thing?

  sh> Ie myrequirement is to have a script, which will
  sh> go to each test case, convert the Makefile rules
  sh> to *.csh ( c shell format).

Makefile rules are written in Bourne shell (sh) format.  I've never
heard of any type of translator for converting Bourne shell of any
complexity to C shell.  If you want to do that you'll have to do it by
hand (or at least ask on one of the shell programming lists or
newsgroups for help).

However, you can probably get an accounting of what all the rules will
look like in Bourne shell format by using the -n and -B options together
when invoking make, if you have some target that lists all the testcases
as a prerequisite.  Note you need GNU make 3.80 to use -B.

If you use sh instead of csh, you're basically done at that point except
for breaking the commands up into files.  If you use csh you'll still
have to translate them.  If they're trivial commands they'll just work:
if they use any shell constructs you'll have to rewrite them by hand.