Re: deferred evaulation of function calls

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: deferred evaulation of function calls
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:37:45 -0400

%% "Robert P. J. Day" <address@hidden> writes:

  rpjd> can you distinguish between immediate and deferred function
  rpjd> calls the way you can between immediate and deferred references
  rpjd> to variables?  the docs are confusing on this.

All assignments are treated identically WRT expansion, even if the
right-hand side contains a function.

  rpjd> in section 4.4.1, "Wildcard Examples", there is an example of
  rpjd> the "wildcard" function:

  rpjd>   objects := $(wildcard *.o)

  rpjd> the ":=" assignment seems to suggest that this is explicitly an
  rpjd> immediate assignment (a la variables).

Correct.

  rpjd> but a quick test shows that using "=" seems to produce the same
  rpjd> effect.

You don't specify in which way you get "the same effect".  One thing to
be aware of is that make has an internal cache of directory contents
which can sometimes cause wildcard to return values different than
what's really on the filesystem.