Does GNU Make supports "viewpathing" feature of nmake

From: thirunadh rao
Subject: Does GNU Make supports "viewpathing" feature of nmake
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:37:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

 I am planning to shift all my Makefiles from "nmake"
to GNU Make. So, i want to know if the "viewpathing"
feature of "nmake" can be done in GNU Makefiles ?

  I am writing this paragraph to explain about
"viewpathing" in nmake. If you already know it then
skip the rest of the message.
  Let's say i have 2 nodes in some project,
/home/xyz/off/base/ and /home/xyz/dev/base/. Both the
nodes can have same directory structure after "base".
But "/home/xyz/dev/base/" directory contains only
those source files on which a developer is currently
working on. For the sake of simplicity, let's say i
have only one file (a.c ) in "/home/xyz/off/base/". So
my "Makefile" is written as follows in
"/home/xyz/off/base/".

a : a.o
     cc -o a a.o
a.o : a.c
      cc -c a.c

Let's say my "/home/xyz/dev/base/" is empty. Now if i
set VPATH to "/home/xyz/dev:/home/xyz/off" and run
"nmake" in "/home/xyz/dev/base/" then it takes a.c
from
"/home/xyz/off/base" to prepare the target "a" (Here
my nmake can fetch "Makefile" from "off" directory
because of VPATH setting). If i copy "a.c" to
/home/xyz/off/base/" and run the same command then
nmake takes "a.c" from /home/xyz/dev/base to prepare
the target "a".

Please tell me if the same behavior can be done in GNU
Make.

Thanks,
Thiru.

http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony/