RE: repost - target with a colon in the name

From: Asperheim, Eric
Subject: RE: repost - target with a colon in the name
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:24:31 -0700

Paul,

Thanks for info. At least I know where I stand on this.

But, few things frustrate me more than backward compatibility preventing
improvements from being made. If you did add syntax to support escaping
of : in prereqs, I don't doubt that some Makefiles might break. But, I
would think that it would be a very, very small % of Makefiles. And,
those Makefiles could be update to work with this new version, i.e. that
issue can be fixed within the tool. I on the other hand will have to
hack around this problem since a solution doesn't exist in gmake. So, I
don't agree that 100% adherence to backward compatibility is the right
solution. Just my opinion.

Note, I appreciate your help on this issue and other issues in the past.

Thanks,

Eric