Re: problem with target-specific vars and dependencies

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: problem with target-specific vars and dependencies
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:14:53 -0500

Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> The canonical use is:
>
>     prog: prog1.o prog2.o
>
>     debug: prog
>     debug: CFLAGS += -g
>
>   >> but not for others.
>
>   bk> In all cases I know the difference between those situations is not
>   bk> qualitative therefore it often catches one off guard.
>
> It only has surprising consequences if a single prerequisite can be
> reached through multiple target paths where some paths have
> target-specific variables and some don't (which isn't really that common
> for most targets)...

What about `make prog1.o' in the example above? This way of building
is common to virtually any target. The really nasty thing about this case
is the inability of makefile to detect that the file was built with wrong
options; one will only find out in debugger ;-)

Conceptually, IMO, selecting -g flag should be part of configuration
process not build process. That selection should persist over builds of
particular configuration and should only be changed if explicitly asked to
reconfigure.

-boris