Re: prerequisites of targets are not made?|?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: prerequisites of targets are not made?|?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:39:51 -0500

%% Alessandro Vesely <address@hidden> writes:

  av> is that a bug or a feature?

It's a bug... in your makefile :-).

  av> all: all_targets

  av> %.u:
  av>   touch $@

  av> an.u: source1
  av> comp1: an.u
  av> an.u: comp2
  av> another.u: source2
  av> comp2: another.u

  av> all_targets:  an.u another.u

  av> Actually, the middle part is a generated dependency that gets
  av> included at that point. The idea was that a missing comp2 should
  av> have triggered the making of another.u

I don't see how you expect that to happen.  The another.u target doesn't
depend on comp2, so there's no way that anything about comp2 could cause
another.u to rebuild.

another.u depends only on source2, so only source2 changing (or not
being there) could cause another.u to rebuild; but you have source2
(based on your email).

Maybe you meant this line:

 > comp2: another.u

to say this instead:

 > another.u: comp2

?  Then another.u depends on comp2, and a change (or missing) comp2
would cause another.u to rebuild.  But as it stands you have to rule
describing how to build comp2, so if it doesn't exist make will fail
saying it doesn't know how to build it.