Re: producing more than one target? (was: prerequisites of targets are n

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: producing more than one target? (was: prerequisites of targets are not made?|?]
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:44:02 -0500

%% Alessandro Vesely <address@hidden> writes:

  >> foo: real.1
  >> bar: real.2
  >>
  >> real.1 real.2: .dummy
  >>
  >> .dummy:
  >>        <Rule to create real.1 & real.2>
  >>        @touch $@

  av> Hmmm... perhaps I haven't got it right, but I haven't been able to
  av> use that because in the rule I miss dependencies (sources) for
  av> building real.%.

If there are prerequisites to build real.*, you have to list them as
prerequisites of the .dummy target.

  >> There was a proposal for a new kind of explicit rule syntax that
  >> allowed you to define a rule as creating multiple targets at once.
  >> It hasn't been implemented though.

  av> I only found "Java compilation: I don't like Ant"
  av> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2002-04/msg00026.html

It was discussed on the make-alpha list I believe.