Re: Deferred expansion and computed rules and rant about make bug

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Deferred expansion and computed rules and rant about make bug
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:25:20 -0400

%% Dale King <address@hidden> writes:

  dk> $(target-$(foo)):
  dk>     @echo $(flags-$(foo))

  dk> So I am looking for another workaround to the issue. I thought
  dk> perhaps target-specific variables might do it, but haven't gotten
  dk> it to work.

 $(target-$(foo)): FLAGS := $(flags-$(foo))
 $(target-$(foo)):
     @echo $(FLAGS)

  dk> Sure its fixed in CVS, but how does that solve the problem. Do you
  dk> really expect everyone to go download the latest unreleased
  dk> source, and rebuild it for their system?! Note in my case this is
  dk> on a team of about 20 developers and management would not look
  dk> favorably on using a patched make tool for doing builds.

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-3.81beta3.tar.gz