Dynamic rules : $< and $@ empty?

From: Jon Chatten
Subject: Dynamic rules : $< and $@ empty?
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:45:07 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I'm using GNU make 3.80 on Windows, but am having some
issues with Dynamic Rules.  This is probably down to
my own misunderstanding, but consider the following
(contrived!  I do have a reason for trying this :-))
example:

ALL : TEST

define test-rule
$(1)/%.o : %.c
        @echo test-rule
        @echo Arg 1 : $(1)
        @echo Target : $@
        @echo Dependent : $<
endef

TEST : bin/File.o
bin/File.o : File.c

$(eval $(call test-rule,bin))

Now...this gives the following output, with a File.c
in the cwd:

test-rule
Arg 1 : bin
Target :
Dependent :

Which leads me to believe the rule is created
correctly and invoked as you'd expect, but why are $<
and $@ empty?

Thanks,
Jon.

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com