Nested make

From: Hridyesh Pant
Subject: Nested make
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:38:07 +0530

I got below good query in Net but not able to get answer, could anyone suggest
what will be the workaround for below situation?

Question:
I have a need to create a project-wide set of makefiles that will do the
following:

given a set of applications under one project:
-project/
   makefile
   app1/
       makefile
             src/
                 makefile?
             bin/
   app2/
       makefile
             src/
             bin/

The need is to create a makefile set that when in the application directory,
make will make the application and when running make from the project
directory, the whole project will be built.

It would be nice if the makefile at the project level could be dynamic - be
able to find all directories under it and descend into then to execute the
makefile there. I think the way to start that would be to be able to assign the
output of a command (find . -type d -print) to a make variable. I don't know
how to do that either.

Thanks
Hridyesh