Re: conditional macro definitions

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: conditional macro definitions
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:35:06 -0500

%% bill <address@hidden> writes:

  b> The syntax
  b> foo:=CFLAGS=-DFOO
  b> for redefining CFLAGS for the target foo seems like a great thing, but
  b> it's not valid in gnu-make.  I'm currently setting up my make files so
  b> that I type "make DEBUG=1" and then defining CFLAGS conditionally based
  b> on the definition of DEBUG.  I'd much rather type "make debug" and use
  b> the syntax given above.  2 questions:

  b> 1)  Is it possible to do something like:
  b> if target==debug;    CFLAGS = -DDEBUG; end if
  b> rather than:
  b>  ifdef DEBUG; CFLAGS = -DDEBUG; end if

  b> 2) Why is the conditional macro definition syntax not incorporated into
  b> gnu-make?  It seems like a good idea.

Look up target-specific variables in the GNU make manual.