Pass variables to submake

From: Chenfu.Wang
Subject: Pass variables to submake
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:44:30 +0200

Hi, all,

I'd like to override submake's CPPFLAGS when I run "make debug" at the top
level. I've tried in my top level Makefile, for example:

debug:
        export CPPFLAGS=-g
        $(MAKE) -C subdir

In my sub Makefile, I used this kind of rules:

%.o : %.cc
        $(CXX) -c  $< -o $@ $(CPPFLAGS)

I failed to get "-g" to my sub Makefile. Could you point out what might help?
Or what can be an alternative solution?

I've used cygwin and my make is

GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.