Re: Post 3.81 $? handling

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: Post 3.81 $? handling
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:18:27 +0200

Paul D. Smith wrote:
bar should appear in $? in both situations (with or without the ";")
because in both situations, make has decided to rebuild "foo" because
"bar" is "newer".

So, the bug is that "bar" is not present in "$?" when it should be;
basically, $? is only set to prerequisites that are newer than the
target _AND_ that actually exist.  In this case, the prerequisite is
considered newer, but doesn't exist.

Ah. I hadn't realized that this was a bug and not a feature. For some reason I thought that the current behaviour was intended and that the 3.82 behaviour was a change in a feature and not a bug fix.

Now I get it.

John.