RE: .PHONY, FORCE, target execution

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: .PHONY, FORCE, target execution
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 10:08:11 -0400

%% "Leeuwesteijn,Joost" <address@hidden> writes:

  >> module1 : address@hidden do_module1

  l> When I tried this I didn't even know about .SECONDEXPANSION. Don't
  l> you need that to run this example? Why did the $$@ expand correctly
  l> in this case?  .SECONDEXPAND is not default as far as I could tell,
  l> or is it?

You have to read the NEWS file.

There was a change between GNU make 3.80 and 3.81.  In 3.80, the System
V make feature that expands $@ (and only $@) twice in the prerequisites
list was automatically on, all the time.

Starting in 3.81, the much more general secondary expansion feature is
available, which is a superset of, and subsumes, that feature, but ONLY
when the .SECONDEXPANSION target is set.