GNU make source code

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: GNU make source code
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:42:31 +0200

Hi *,

Is there some document/txt-file that explains the inner workings of GNU make
and its source code? Or source code == documentation? Things I'd like to
know for example: does GNU make read makefiles line by line, or does it use
some kind of lexer/parser mechanism? I'd like to know more about the make
internals, and what you'd have to do if you want to make changes, but I
don't really know where to start. Any...pointers?

Not that I want to submit patches or anything yet, I just want to know more
about the source code. I think it's a shame that there are multiple make
variants (which is also a good thing I guess) which have a lot more
functionality but have other disadvantages... (for example: OpenOffice dmake
(excellent but unsupported?), ClearCase omake (impressive, non-free), mcrsft
nmake (one or two useful features)). Why not submit patches into one
let's-have-it-all make? :-)

--
Joost Leeuwesteijn