Re: how to get a directory's "full" name?

From: Aditya Kher
Subject: Re: how to get a directory's "full" name?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:21:36 -0700

On 5/12/06, Robert P. J. Day <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2006, Aditya Kher wrote:

> > cd to arg, then echo full dir name.  is there a simpler or
> > built-in way that's better?
>
> the unix command dirname gives the directory name see also basename
> for getting file name in a similar manner

i'm confused -- how would you use that within a makefile?

using shell function.
Like thus:
real-dir = $(shell dirname ${1})

But I was not aware of what Paul mentioned about these functions. If
that indeed true then (and in addition, you are not trying to use any
shell variables) then  using $(dir ...) etc. which is avilable in Gnu
Make might be good idea.

-aditya