Re: question about Generating Prerequisites Automatically

From: Lin George
Subject: Re: question about Generating Prerequisites Automatically
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 02:31:13 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Paul!

> Certainly if you're not using intermediate files
> then you won't get any
> benefit from intermediate files.

I am happy to learn new and cool technologies to
upgrade my current building approach when using ar.
Could you show me an example about how to improve ar
with intermediate file please?

> Intermediate files are mainly a way of saving disk
> space by removing
> files that are not needed after the build is
> complete.

This is cool function. I think I may try it in the
future when the shared server may run out of disk
space. :-)

> However, I think
> they might be useful with some uses of VPATH as
> well; I'd need to think
> about that.

I used VPATH before to specify the location to look
for source files. What is your idea of using
intermediate file together with VPATH?

regards,
George