Re: serial vs parallel for ar

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: serial vs parallel for ar
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:59:32 -0400

At 09:45 AM 5/18/2006, Alexey Neyman wrote:
Just to add. I encountered similar problem when I attempted to use
parallel make for a project that used the following rule:

        $(AR) cru $@ $%
        $(RM) $%

Suspecting somewhat similar in Mr.Patton's project.

I have not read this thread in detail, so apologies if this is an answer to the wrong question. But there's a longstanding issue with ar and parallelism due to the fact that many ar programs create a statically named temp file in the current directory. It has to do with generating the symbol table, during the course of which ar creates a file called "__SYMDEF" (or something like that, this is from memory). This is not just a problem for parallel updates to the same archive but also for building multiple libraries in the same directory. The workaround is a build script which creates and cds into a temp directory, something like

(mkdir ar.$$$$.d && cd ar.$$$$.d && [ar command here] && cd .. && rmdir ar.$$$$.d)

If this isn't your current problem it may well be your next one.

-David Boyce