Updateing Dual-Mode Archives

From: EXT-Pennington, Dale K
Subject: Updateing Dual-Mode Archives
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:25:45 -0500

Folks,

I am on an AIX system, trying to maintain a dual mode (32 and 64 bit)
library. The new issue I have is that the rule for updating the library
:

(%.o) : $(OBJ_DIR)/%.o
        @ar $(ARFLAGS) $@ $< ; \
        echo $(%:.o=.c) updated in library

It appears that the target pattern cannot differentiate between the 32
and 64 bit members of the archive. In fact, it always checks the 32 bit
member. I tried doing a dump on the archive to see if I could see if the
64 bit archive .o had a different name, but did not see it.

Is there a way to tell make to check the 64 bit .o member vice the 32
bit .o member of a dual mode archive ?

Thanks

Dale Pennington