missing separator

From: David A. Greene
Subject: missing separator
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 17:12:38 -0500

I've got a series of nested calls that generate bits of makefile (rules,
variable assignments, etc.).  One of the calls is producing a "missing
separator" error but of course the call itself looks just fine.  I assume
the problem is with one of the nested calls or in some of the generated
makefile content.  Is there any good way to trace what is going on and try to
track down the problem?  I've tried writing simplified testcases with no luck
reproducing the problem.

                                     -Dave