Re: dependencies in other folders

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: dependencies in other folders
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:08:43 -0700

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Eduardo Suárez <address@hidden> wrote:
> Copying was just an example for using the same extension. What I am actually
> doing is image processing with image magick and other software.

<sigh>

If your example isn't accurate, than the responses you get may be
inaccurate as well.  Ignore all those message about VPATH and vpath,
because they don't actually apply to what you're doing.

> I have tiff files in one folder that I want to, for example, turn into
> grayscale
> into another folder. That was where I started to realize the problems with
> the extensions. These targets are then used for further processing, e.g. add
> a watermark to another folder. I think 'make' is the tool for these kind of
> operations.

Personally, if I was doing something like that, I would find the
layout easier to track if the makefile was in the directory above the
per-type subdirs.  Having make build stuff 'up over there' makes it
harder to follow, IMO.  None of the paths involved ".." that way and
therefore don't result in looped or ambiguous matching.

Anyway, you said the double-colon solution worked for you, so there's
no need to change things at this point.

Philip Guenther