Re: checking for specific/minimal Make version in Make code?

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: checking for specific/minimal Make version in Make code?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:40:13 +0200

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 8:30 PM, kalyan <address@hidden> wrote:
> It will fail where the make version shows 4 digits (for example 3.79.1) and
> we need to check availability of a 3 digit make (for example 3.81)..

You're right. The 4-digit problem can be solved by stripping the last
digits using $(patsubst) or similar, since the Z part of X.Y.Z isn't
significant for what i'm doing. Alternately, pad any 2-digit version
number with .0. We can count the words with something like $(words
$(patsubst ., ,$(MAKE_VERSION)) and append a 0 if needed.

Thanks for the bug report - i wouldn't have thought of that until i
ran into a machine with 3.79.1.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/