Re: Resend: Work-around for Small Kernel Environment Size

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Resend: Work-around for Small Kernel Environment Size
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 18:03:08 -0500

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 16:05 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> Since there are now a lot of folks watching this list, can anyone
> address this problem I asked about a while ago?
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2009-02/msg00033.html
>
> The posted solution is working, but it isn't working as efficiently as
> advertised (i.e, one line at a time instead of in groups per line).

The message originally posted, that you reference, says this:

> The MAKE_LONG_LIST function generates a file with all of the contents
> of the long MAKE variable, one element per line.

So, I think the behavior you're seeing is correct (unless I just don't
understand the problem you're describing).

If you read the original email you'll see he then uses xargs to group
the generated file into multiple files at a time.

The "500" in the original message, as I understand it, is NOT the number
of elements printed to the same line of the output file.  Rather, it's
the number of elements that can appear in a single instance of the
printf function, internally.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us