Re: whitespace

From: Sam Ravnborg
Subject: Re: whitespace
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:02 +0100

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 02:07:31PM +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
> 5.1.1 Splitting Recipe Lines
>  Whitespace is never added to the recipe.
>
> all:
>       @echo rrrr\
>         sssss
>
> The result:
> rrrr sssss
> In the third line several spaces added but only one space was printed.
> Does make remove all spaces before giving the recipe to the shell? Why
> there is still one space left?

Did you actually try the same in the shell you are using?
The chapter you refer to says:
"Both the backslash and the newline characters are preserved and passed to the
shell. How the backslash-newline is interpreted depends on your shell."

Please somehow convice me (us) that you actually tried to figuer this out
yourself before you requested help.

[I on purpose have not addressed your question - you have enough info to deduce
this yourself].

        Sam