Re: Creating Archives

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Creating Archives
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 08:45:33 -0400

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 13:42 +0530, Ajay Jain wrote:
> I have a number of archives and I want to create another archive using
> those individual archives. Is it possible? Will "ar -sr" do my job?

This is really more of a question for the binutils team than GNU make,
but no, standard ar does not allow the members to be added to an archive
to be anything other than object files.  You cannot combine two archives
with ar, directly, at least not with standard ar.  I suppose some
versions of ar might have an advanced capability to do this but I've
never seen it.

You can write a script yourself to do it, by using ar to explode one of
the archives to its constituent object files in a temporary directory,
then adding them to the other.