Re: single-threading targets although make was invoked with -jX ?

From: Eric Melski
Subject: Re: single-threading targets although make was invoked with -jX ?
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 10:20:53 -0700

On 05/04/2011 09:47 AM, David Boyce wrote:
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Per Jessen<address@hidden>  wrote:
yeah, SYNCSH_SERIALIZE is equal to what I do today using this construct:

(flock -s 200; some-command $^ $@) 200>/var/lock/some-lockfile

It satisfies the single-thread requirement, but in massively parallel
runs, several of these often end up waiting for each other. It would be
optimal if make knew not to submit more than 1 at a time, I was just
wondering if I'd skipped a page in the manual :-)

Could you rephrase this? I can't see a meaningful distinction between
"waiting for each other" and "submit one at a time". Either way
they're serialized, no?

They are serialized either way, but the processes could be consuming other resources (memory, disk, database connections, etc). In the "submit one at a time" model, you avoid tying up those resources needlessly.

br,

Eric Melski
Architect
Electric Cloud, Inc.