Making widgets

From: Kai Hendry
Subject: Making widgets
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 20:36:46 +0100

Hi there,

I've struggled for the best part of today for a good solution of
tracking dependencies of widgets spread across a filesystem. I've
described the problem here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6045710/finding-makefile-dependencies

As well as provide an example layout:
http://static.dabase.com/make-help.tar.gz

address@hidden make$ make clean
rm -f ./bar/more.wgt ./foo1.wgt ./foo3.wgt
address@hidden make$ make
  adding: config.xml (stored 0%)
  adding: hey (stored 0%)
  adding: config.xml (stored 0%)
  adding: config.xml (stored 0%)
address@hidden make$ touch bar/more/testing
address@hidden make$ make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

This is wrong because it didn't rebuild more.wgt despite an additional
dependency "testing". There must be a simple solution what I'm trying
to achieve here. I hope you guys can help!

I've worked with a Makefile that works with depth one:
WGTS := $(shell for i in */; do echo `basename $$i`.wgt; done )
all: $(WGTS)
.SECONDEXPANSION:
%.wgt: $${shell find %/}
    @test -f $*/config.xml && cd $* && zip -q -r ../$*.wgt . || true
clean:
    rm -f *.wgt

Though I've never understand that ".SECONDEXPANSION:" voodoo.

Many thanks,