Problems with multiple rules under 3.82

From: Mark Frazer
Subject: Problems with multiple rules under 3.82
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 11:51:39 -0400

Under make 3.81, I would add multiple rules for certain targets to modify
compiler flags and give dependency information such as:

$(addsuffix /Win32C.$(OBJ),obj debug release): INCLUDE_DIRS += |.
$(addsuffix /Win32C.$(OBJ),obj debug release): $(C_HEADER) $(CHEADER)

under make 3.82, the INCLUDE_DIRS variable in the pattern rule is updated,
but the C_HEADER and CHEADER dependencies are not built before the pattern
rule command is started.  I have reordered these two rules, and it had no
effect.  I also manually expanded the addsuffix and it had no effect.

Is there something I need to do differently under 3.82?