Re: how to make dirs without races

From: Reinier Post
Subject: Re: how to make dirs without races
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:34:24 +0100

On Mon Mar  4 19:35:37 2013, address@hidden (Mark Galeck) wrote:
> Well, implicit chain does not work because of what Paul says in
> the manual:
>
> "No single implicit rule can appear more than once in a chain. This
> means that make will not even consider such a ridiculous thing as making
> foo from foo.o.o by running the linker twice. This constraint has
> the added benefit of preventing any infinite loop in the search for
> an implicit rule chain"

I use a patch that adds an -M option to disable this restriction:

  http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=21887

Discussed here:

  http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30381

Since I wrote it, I've been looking for use cases
other than my own. They seem to be pretty rare.

On the other hand, the patch is rather simple;
it may even make pattern rules easier to understand.

--
Reinier Post
TU Eindhoven