About .INTERMEDIATE in gmake

From: Rakesh Sharma
Subject: About .INTERMEDIATE in gmake
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 08:12:02 -0700

Hello gnu makers,

I wanted to enquire about the utility of intermdiate pre-requisites in gmake.
Where & under what scenarios are they to be utilized in writing our makefiles.
The documentation in the make manual is somewhat confusing wherein it states
that intermediate prerequisites, if not existing are not looked up in determing
the target determination. And in the very next line it goes on to state, if
they are existing then they are deleted :-/

If some small examples could be given as to explaining the rationale as to how
.INTERMEDIATEs come in handy, it would just be great.

TIA from a gmaker in making,
-rakesh sharma.