RE: Find duplicates in a list

From: Jay Lawrence
Subject: RE: Find duplicates in a list
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:02:57 -0400

I'm sure one of the cool macro libraries has an elegant solution already,
but here's one I just cooked up

------------ cut here ------------------

# Given a list with duplicates
ORIGINAL := A C B C B D A

# Build a new list in order with no dups
$(foreach V,$(ORIGINAL),$(if $(filter $V,$(NEW)),,$(eval NEW := $(NEW) $V)))

# Or just call sort, but the order may be different
SORTED = $(sort $(ORIGINAL))

result:
        @echo ORIGINAL = $(ORIGINAL)
        @echo NEW = $(NEW)