Re: Fwd: What is the logic behind make's handling of symbolic links?

From: Philip Couling
Subject: Re: Fwd: What is the logic behind make's handling of symbolic links?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:36:27 +0100

On 22 October 2014 15:07, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> You're correct that make doesn't care about the contents of files, but
> you're incorrect when you say that make is only concerned with the NAMES
> of files.  Make is primarily concerned with the _MODIFICATION TIMES_ of
> files.  Make decides when a file is newer or older by checking its
> modification time.  The name of the file is only useful to make insofar
> as it allows make to find the target's modification time.

Agreed.
Point of interest: symbolic links have a modification time separate to
their referenced file.

> A file that doesn't exist does not have a modification time, and so make
> always considers that file to be out of date and rebuilds it.

This is again suggesting that dangling symbolic links don't exist.  They
can be created, they do get created ergo they do exist. :-p
Point of interest: Dangling symbolic links still a modification time.

But I accept that make treats all links (dangling or otherwise) as
transparent.
I don't like it and would love to understand the reasoning behind that
decision, but it does at least explain make's logic neatly.

Thanks for that all.

That's what I was after.