Re: Missing features from .FEATURES

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Missing features from .FEATURES
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:46:37 -0400

On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 15:31 -0400, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> I was referring to .POSIX for parsing and execution in POSIX-conforming
> mode. I believe this is a more recent "feature" of GNU Make.

It's not a feature of GNU make per se; it's required by the POSIX
standard.  Of course, you can create a target named .POSIX in any make,
anywhere, but history shows special handling of .POSIX was added to GNU
make in 1994.  Support for .SECONDARY was added in 1996.

> > And, there have been times where new features have been added but
> > nothing was added to .FEATURES; sometimes the presence of these is
> > testable in other obvious ways.  Sometimes we forgot :-/.
>
> Thanks Paul, that's make sense. Would bug reports be appropriate for the
> missing ones?

It would depend: which missing ones are you referring to?  I don't see
any point in adding entries for very old features.