Quietly and eagerly deleting intermediate files

From: Jed Brown
Subject: Quietly and eagerly deleting intermediate files
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 12:39:41 -0700

I'm using make to run a test suite and thus have a bunch of intermediate
test executables.  Those take up a lot of space when using static
linking (there are many ways around this, but I'm trying to integrate
with an existing system at this time) and thus blow some users' quotas
if they all exist at once.  Make will delete them automatically when I
mark them .INTERMEDIATE, but it only removes intermediates as the final
step, not as soon as the intermediate is no longer needed.  Is there a
way, short of recursive make, to eagerly delete the intermediates?

Also, when there are many intermediates, the output is very loud.  Is
there a way to silence it without silencing everything?  My experiments
with .SILENT have been unsuccessful.