help-marst

Algol60 - Question/Suggestions

From: Hedberg, Christer
Subject: Algol60 - Question/Suggestions
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:21:26 +0200

Hello,

my name is Christer Hedberg.

Having used Algol60  whilst studing at the Stockholm University in the 70s,
I am pretty interested in the language ( not only from a nostalgic point of
view ).

As the languages as well as the areas where they are used, having
substantially
expanded over the years, i have the following Question :

How is is possible to perform String'-manipulation in Algol ?
( the way you do it declaring a variable a 'string' in Basic or 'char *' in
C )

If not possible have you any intention in adding this facility to the
language ?
( f.e by expanding the usage of 'string' )
To my opinion this would be very nice as nowadays your're not just
restricted
to performing numeric calculation when writing a program..

Rgds,

Christer Hedberg

address@hidden