Objet : Help-mcsim digest, Vol 1 #127 - 1 msg

From: Frédéric BOIS
Subject: Objet : Help-mcsim digest, Vol 1 #127 - 1 msg
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:26:56 +0200

Hi!

Your diagnostic seems right: you are experiencing convergence problems.
The distributed version of MCSim adjusts the kernel of each sampled parameter
after 30 iterations and then less and less frequently, on the basis of the
acceptance
rate (target: about 30% accepted jumps). So far we have not found problems with
this in well-behaved applications. The initial value of the kernel SD for a
given parameter
is obtained by sampling 4 values from the prior and taking there range (you get
an SD
commensurate with the prior). We know that there problem when the prior is very
vague
(eg, for vague inverse gamma for variances). In that case the starting kernel
SD can be
many orders of magnitude larger than the target distribution and is very
difficult to tune.
I am not sure if you have used such vague priors.
In our experience convergence problems like yours may come from strong
correlations
between parameter estimates (do you see some in the simulation output ?) which
may
require model reparameterization, or from a structural model that does not
"fit" well
given the data likelihood used (a more difficult problem).
Just in case there would be a problem with the version of MCSim you are using,
I am
attaching the latest version (v5_beta). The code is actually ok (I think), but
the manual
revision is not finished (optimal design and the optional  XWindows interface
are not
documented). The installation is automated and is simpler and more standard than
previously. You may want to try it.

Frederic Bois