RE: Rép. : RE: Objet : RE: MCSim be ta

From: Frédéric BOIS
Subject: RE: Rép. : RE: Objet : RE: MCSim be ta
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:21:14 +0200

Hi Fredrik,

Yes, sending through help-mcsim is good. I can also put a copy there (I should
think of it).

For question 2, I think that the answer would be the same. You have a mean and
variance for
a variance term and you want to assign a prior for further updating of that
variance. Using the formula
below you could still
derive a inv-shape and scale giving you an inverse-gamma of the desired mean
and var.

Frederic

>>> "F Jonsson" <address@hidden> mardi 2 septembre 2003 10:27:04 >>>

Frédéric,

Thank you for that information. Of course, a few weeks have gone since I
posed my questions, and I suspected that a response from you would take
some time, so I sidestepped the problem by assigning straight lognormal
rather than inverse gamma priors.

However, it seems that I did not really ge my point across with regards
to question 2: I was referring to the inverse gamma prior I wanted to
assign, not the fit of my posterior to an inverse gamma. But your
response still gave me some clues: I guess I could create a normal
distribution that corresponds to the values from the previous modeling,
fit that to an inverse gamma and then take the shape parameters from
that fit. Is that the way to do it?

By the way, would you rather like me to pose these questions to the
mcsim-list? Judging from the archives, it seems kind of dormant at the
moment.

Kind regards,

Fredrik