help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] nano 2.2.5

From: Eitan Adler
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] nano 2.2.5
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 17:08:22 +0000

Please do not top post in mailing lists. it makes it harder to follow
the conversation.

Also, in general, its best to keep the mailing list on the CC list in
order to help others with similar problems.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Patrick Gilday <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sorry to bother you again, I thought I had it working, but it seems like
> everytime I open the terminal I have to re-alias it.  How do I get it
> permanently set to this.  I am assuming it is something to do with the to
> ~/.bashrc line you said, do I just type that command.  I apologize for my
> ignorance, I really like nano 2.2.5 version and want to not have to alias
> everytime.
>
> Thank you again,
> Patrick

" I apologize for my ignorance, "

Don't do that. Everyone is ignorant of everything at some point. As
long as you are willing to take on an effort to learn this is good.

I don't want to answer your question directly because I fear you won't
learn much from it. I'm going to provide some background and see if
you could figure it out.

I think you need a lesson in some unix fundamentals.

The primary interface between you and the computer is the "shell". A
shell is a program that allows you type commands in and runs them for
you. There are a few different shells: bash, dash, ash, tcsh, zsh,
ibsh, etc. Shells run in a program called a Terminal Emulator (they
can also run in an actual serial console - but I'm not dealing with
that now). The terminal emulator is the program that deals with
displaying the output. Some examples include xterm, Eterm,
gnome-terminal, etc.

On a mac you use the "bourne again shell" or "bash" displayed by the
Mac Terminal emulator.

When a shell starts up it looks for certain files which contain a list
of commands. These are typically called "rc files" or "Invocation
files".

Each shell looks in its own set of files. In order to learn which
files are read by the shell you need to edit you need to take a look
at its man page.

A man page is the user manual for that program. For an example and
instructions on how to find other man pages take a look at "man man".
For bash take a look at "man bash". With your question in particular
look at the INVOCATION section.

If there is anything you don't understand take a look at wikipedia.

Hope this helps,

Eitan Adler

--
Eitan Adler