help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] man-html translated in RO

From: Mario Blättermann
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] man-html translated in RO
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 22:05:26 +0200

Hi Mihai,

Am 27.07.2014 13:43, schrieb Mihai Cristescu:
> Dear Mario,
>
> Thanks for your reply and very good material you sent me.
>
> Well, I was already finished translating the man files, after I have created a
> special filter based on regular expresions in memoq for importing groff
> files.
> I was almost finished with the reviewing for errors. I also have generated the
> html files with groff-utf8 command.
> But, now after receiving your scripts I made some tests.
> Actually they work like a charm. I wish I had them before, they create much
> better quality of pot file (po4a seems a good tool for the future).
>
> So, I have generated the ro.po file (combined from all text sources) and
> imported successfully in my CAT system, that means I can use the translation
> memory already done for this project.
> I have installed also Lokalize, Gtranslator and Poedit to have an idea and
> they
> all are good but I will keep working in memoq because I have more experience
> in
> it for complex tasks.
> Maybe for the future I'll start using Lokalize seems to have more features
> inside.
>
> Question: After I finish translating the file, I send the material to this
> list
> or to the http://translationproject.org for revision?

No, as Benno already wrote, you should contact the Romanian TP team for all
those issues.

> After I finish nano I can have a look also to help2man, but that is already
> generated pot file isn't it? ... no po4a involved.

No, help2man is very different: It generates man pages from the --help and
--version output of a command, in its own case also in native languages. I
mentioned it rather to get a kind of dictionary for future doc translations,
because the basic terms e.g. for headers etc. are included in the help2man
translation. Besides that, if you or someone else translates it into Romanian,
also a Romanian man page of help2man will be generated and released. And if some
other project maintainers decide to use help2man to create localized man pages
for their man pages, then also Romanian ones will be created, as long as the
--help and --version strings of that project are already translated. In the
nearest future I will convince the coreutils developers to do so -- especially
to get rid of the lots of external translations which are not shipped with the
project files itself, which are not in sync with the latest version, and which
can cause package conflicts.

> And is with this robot thing, for newr versions of the sources, how is that
> working?

As said, contact the Romanian TP team first. In any case we work with pot
templates and the resulting po files, no need for translators to import anything
from source files or create own scripts.

I've officially written to the nano-devel mailing list to get the po4a toolchain
included and get created the new domain for the docs at TP.

Best Regards,
Mario