help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Can I cut before Cursor?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Can I cut before Cursor?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:51:39 +0100

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015, at 19:34, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> At the moment if you wanted to cut-to-from beginning of line to cursor
> position, there's unfortunately no built-in way to do so.  Today the
> fastest way to do this would probably be to set the marker for where
> you are: (^^ or ^6), then moving to the beginning of the line (^A) and
> then cutting (^K).
>
> Other users are welcome to chime in here if they'd like to see an
> official option to force ^K to do this.

Instead of adding another (rc-file or command-line) option, maybe
nano could add useful functions without binding them to any key
by default.  I can imagine that some users have no need for the
standard bindings of ^B and ^F, ^A en ^E, Justify and Suspend,
and several others.  Such users could then reassign some of those
keys to the unbound functions that they like.

Apart from the now requested kill-to-start-of-line, there could be
save-file-without-asking and convert-tabs-to-spaces (see
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8208 and
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8552) and others.
(Of course there is now --tempfile, but that then works for every
file -- the user can't choose whether to use ^X (prompt whether
to save) or (say) ^A (save without asking).)

> > By the way, I really wish I could see-and-edit special symbols or
> > turn on reveal codes as Word Perfect has.

What special symbols are you thinking about?  Which codes would
you like to be made visible?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail