help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] set fill 72 issue in Debian

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] set fill 72 issue in Debian
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 19:52:18 +0200

Hello Niels,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016, at 17:23, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> My .nanorc looks like this (I also added this to /etc/nanorc):

(Putting it in two places is probably not a good idea.  But that
as an aside.)

> [code]
> syntax "mutt"
> color green "^>.*"
> unset nowrap
> set fill 68
> set tabstospaces
> set tabsize 4
> set smarthome
> [/code]

>From the arrangements of the settings, I get the impression that
you seem to think that set and unset commands can be specific
to a syntax.  They are not.  They are global.  If there are other
"set fill" or "set nowrap" commands later in your .nanorc file,
they willoverride the above ones.

>  Compiled options: --disable-wrapping-as-root [...]

I am assuming you are not running mutt as root?

> My current fix is calling nano in mutt with:
>
> set editor="nano -w -$"

But...  That is not a fix: -w means --nowrap, so effectively you
are telling nano *not* to wrap, no matter what it says in
/etc/nanorc or your .nanorc.

The best is not to try and set things in your .nanorc but set
all the options you want in your .muttrc:

set editor="nano --fill=68 --tabstospaces --tabsize=4 --smarthome"

Does that not work?

(You may need to remove all "set fill" settings from both
/etc/nanorc and .nanorc, because there was a small bug
where a command-line --fill would not override a nanorc
"set fill".  See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46492.
It is fixed in nano-2.5.0 and later.  Yes, this wrapping/
filling/justifying stuff is quite confusing.)

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Does exactly what it says on the tin