help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] how to make it default so that nano wraps lines at 80 co

From: shirish शिरीष
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] how to make it default so that nano wraps lines at 80 columns
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 21:29:22 +0530

in-line :-

On 13/11/2016, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2016, at 15:20, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> └─[$] grep nanorc TRAIL | grep -e etc -e home
>> stat("/etc/nanorc", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=8769, ...}) = 0
>> open("/etc/nanorc", O_RDONLY)           = 3
>> stat("/home/shirish/.nanorc", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=55, ...}) =
>> 0
>> open("/home/shirish/.nanorc", O_RDONLY) = 3
>
> That is how it should be, so it seems to read ~/.nanorc
> allright.  Does the 'set constantshow' take effect?  Does
> it show all the time the cursor position on the statusbar
> as soon as you start moving it around?

Yes, it does.

>> > Did you compile nano yourself?  If yes, what --prefix
>> > and other options did you use?  Or are you running
>> > Debian unstable?
>>
>> As shared before, am running Debian testing/stretch.
>
> But Debian testing/stretch has version 2.7.0, not 2.7.1
> as your 'nano --version' showed.  So... how did you
> get 2.7.1?

Ah, in this instance I had upgraded to sid/unstable as I thought that
maybe some regression or something. I just purged and installed the
one on testing or if you want can get the sid/unstable one.

[$] apt-cache policy nano

nano:
  Installed: 2.7.0-1
  Candidate: 2.7.0-1
  Version table:
     2.7.1-1 1
          1 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64 Packages
 *** 2.7.0-1 600
        600 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

>> > It's strange that you don't have a /usr/bin/nano, when
>> > you are on a Debian system.
>>
>> I just saw https://bugs.debian.org/811206
>
> Hm.  Maybe Jordi changed things, and has done away
> with the hardlink or symlink in /usr/bin.
>
>> Aha, found the culprit, see - [...]
>>
>> maybe it is -
>>
>> [$] grep nowrap /etc/nanorc
>>
>> set nowrap
>>
>> But this is supposed to be for root, right and it is supposed to be
>> superseded by .nanorc in user's profile right ?
>
> Right.  The 'set nowrap' should be overridden by the
> 'set fill'...   But... it doesn't!  You have found a bug!

aha. OK.

> Bah.  What the heck.  I thought I had fixed that a
> long time ago.
>
> Do you want to report this bug yourself in Savannah?
>    https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=nano
> Or do you prefer if I do that?

I would prefer you do it as you would have more understanding of what
gives than I. Please share the bug-report link so I can follow up as
to whatever happens.

Thank you for taking time out to understand my issue. Sorry for being
such a pain.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल