help-nano

[Help-nano] why did you stop documenting the changes at changelog.gz ?

From: shirish शिरीष
Subject: [Help-nano] why did you stop documenting the changes at changelog.gz ?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 15:28:25 +0530

Dear Benno,

I was looking at the nano source tree
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nano.git/tree/

and saw that you have Changelog and NEWS. The changelog gives users
like me something to know what happened in the git tree, a sort of
monthly or bi-monthly report which you used to share. Why did it
suddenly stop at 2016-03-31 ?

Excerpt - 2016-03-31  Benno Schulenberg  <address@hidden>
        * src/text.c (do_int_spell_fix): Replace a fake 'while', delete a
        redundant 'if', rename a variable, and adjust whitespace.

2016-03-30  Benno Schulenberg  <address@hidden>
        * src/search.c (do_replace_loop, go_looking, findnextstr): Report
        "Cancelled" instead of "Not found" when the user aborts a replace
        that is taking too long.  This fixes Savannah bug #47439.
        * src/winio.c (do_replace_highlight): Rename this to 'spotlight',
        for clarity, and for contrast with 'do_replace/do_replace_loop'.
        * src/winio.c (spotlight): Rename a variable for clarity.
        * src/files.c (input_tab), src/prompt.c (get_prompt_string):
        Rename a variable to better indicate booleanness.
        * src/text.c (do_int_speller): Unwrap a few lines.

I also saw  NEWS.gz where you seem to have pushed them . Why this change ?

>From whatever little I have understood of GNU/Linux, the NEWS.gz had a
different functionality than changelog.gz . While the changelog.gz
would give day-to-day or monthly/bi-monthly reports, NEWS.gz is/used
to be a rare occurence telling important news if some drastic change
is going to come.

Could you please share your thinking/thoughts.

It would be nice if NEWS.gz just remains about important stuff .

Thoughts please .
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल