help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Understanding syntax highlighting in nano

From: nano
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Understanding syntax highlighting in nano
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 16:05:40 +1030

On 31/12/17 03:48, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
the /only/ way I can manipulate the palette is to do so at the terminal level — correct?

Correct.  There are two patches that add support for 256 colors, though:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8553
  https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?6873
Hmmm...  Interesting...

If either of those made it through then there would definitely need to be less wrangling on my end to get my environment sorted.

So... if you find nano lacking in color, you could brush one of those up
and start lobbying for its inclusion.  :)
I'm a relative noob at the whole 'terminal colour' thing and haven't programmed in C for a while (cough, 26 years), so I don't think I'm in a position to submit constructive code for consideration right now.

Nonetheless, I created an account on savannah and cast my votes to encourage those two patches along.  I've also subbed to the nano-devel list so I can discuss the issue in more detail over there.

To be fair, though, I think nano is close to perfect as it is — at least for me and my intended use.  It already does way more than I need it to do, and does it in a way that is intuitive to me.  An expanded colour palette would be icing on the cake.  :)

I don't see mention of \` and \' [in http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/manual/grep.html#Regular-Expressions], so the following may be a more complete summary:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/egrep-regular-_expression_-syntax.html
Thanks for that — looks like it has everything I need to work things out.

Cheers,

Tim