help-nano

[Help-nano] Problem with the -n option

From: MikiStrange
Subject: [Help-nano] Problem with the -n option
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 14:38:18 +0000

Hello all.

I'm trying to use th -n (--noread) option to write to openssl.
I've made my named pipe which seems to be reading from Nano ok but I'm having the following problems.

If I write:
nano -n gog > pipe2 (where gog is my file name)

the command seems to hang and Nano doesn't appear for me to write my text into. When I ctrl-c in terminal openssl writes the contents of Nano's editor screen to terminal (ie the menu options etc).

If I write nano -n pipe2

Nano opens and warns me that pipe2 isn't a normal file, allows me to write but when I save produces a file (which I can name during save) which is not sent to openssl via the pipe.

Can someone please help me to get this right. I've searched online to no avail.

Yours

MikiStrange.