help-nano

Re: [Help-nano] Segfaults in libc-2.19 w/ 2.9.2

From: Andreas Schamanek
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Segfaults in libc-2.19 w/ 2.9.2
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 00:12:12 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018, at 21:18, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

Only with 2.9.2, I seem to face segfaults more frequently, yet not very often.
*More* frequently? You mean older nanos used to crash too, now and then? If yes, which nanos? All versions since 2.7.0?

Uhm, well, you know, 2 is more than 1. I *think* nano crashed once in the past 10 years or so. Seriously, I cannot remember any crashes since 2.6 or 2.7 (when I started compiling them myself) which were not caused by other circumstances. I do remember issues with syntax highlighting but I think this was with older versions.

Also not often enough to see a pattern. The 2 most recent segfaults (...) occurred while typing (no special operations) in 7K large file using syntax highlighting for Markdown,

Nano itself does not come with a syntax file for Markdown. Please attach the file that you use for this. Maybe it contains regexes that trigger the segfault.

Attached.

What can I do to track this down?

Try to recreate the exact situation of the crash as soon as you get a segfault: open the same file again, type the same stuff again, until you can reproduce the crash. Once you can reproduce it, it can be fixed.

That's good advice. I will do this. Thanks a lot!

--
-- Andreas

    :-)