can i use matlab's .mex files in octave?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: can i use matlab's .mex files in octave?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 14:16:26 -0600

Chaturapadh Nakavachara <address@hidden> wrote:

: How can I use .mex files from matlab directly?

No.

Octave 1.1.1 supports dynamic linking on systems that have GNU dld.
For future releases, support for dld has been dropped in favor of
using OS-specific dynamic linking facilities.

In any case, the interface is not the same as Matlab's mex interface.
I have no plans to write the code for such an interface myself, but I
will consider including it if someone else writes a clean
implementation.

jwe