Dependence on gcc

From: Heber Farnsworth
Subject: Dependence on gcc
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 17:01:20 -0400 (EDT)

I have a quest for anyone who might like to contribute a thought on the
subject.
I am a big fan of free software but I wonder why octave MUST be built with gcc.

For those of us with proprietary systems the compiler we have is in many cases
superior (in terms of performance) to gcc.  Shouldn't one be able to use any
good compiler?  There may be good reasons for not doing this but I don't know
what they are.

I work on a DEC Alpha system and would like to avoid gcc at least until 2.8
comes out (some problems relating to Alpha systems will be fixed then -- I
hope).

Any comments?

Heber Farnsworth
Department of Finance