Octave memory leak??

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Octave memory leak??
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 00:05:56 +0100 (BST)

Does octace-2.0.11 have a memory leak?

I was running a heavily iterative computation and over time the swap
usage built up to about 180MB (out of 256MB). There was no obvious reason
why this should be so, since no data structures involved were supposed to
get larger or more numerous, and there were no recursive calls.

Then when the computation was over, I did "clear" in octave. Swap usage
remained constant at about 180MB. Octave was then left, still running but
inactive, for several hours. After this time, swap usage was still 180MB,
even though nothing was happening on octave and no data structures were
being maintained.

Also, swap usage as reported by "ps -mx" only added up to about 40MB
(which is what I would have expected, knowing what was going on). This
included what "ps" thought octave was using.

Then I quit octave, and swap usage promptly dropped back to about 40MB.

So it seems to me that octave was leaking memory here, but I'm not
familiar enough with these situations to be sure.

Does the above ring a bell with anyone?

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>